Camptosaurus was first discovered in 1879 by paleontologist Earl Douglass. That same year, this new dinosaur was given the name Camptonotus by Othniel Charles Marsh. It was later renamed in 1885 by Marsh because its original name already belonged to a type of cricket.
This dinosaur was a typical Iguanidontid, spending its days moving from place to place looking for plant material to devour.
Using its tail as a counter-weight, Camptosaurus was able to balance on its hind-legs, leaving its arms for feeding and other tasks, such as self-defense.
Fossilized tracks show evidence that Camptosaurus also walked on all fours at times.